The WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is a course for wine professionals (also accessed by intrepid wine enthusiasts, who have obtained the previous WSET qualifications) designed to give a thorough understanding of the key factors in the production of wine, from viticulture through to wine production. The course will then focus on how these factors account for the style, quality and price of wine, and how they manifest themselves in each of the principal wine producing regions of the world. By the end of the course, students will have learned to accurately and objectively describe the wines using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® and to make professional decisions based on these facts.
By the end of the course students will be able to:
• Identify the principal natural and human factors in the vineyard and winery that are involved in the production of the still wines of the world, and explain how they can influence the style, quality and price of these wines.
• Identify and describe the characteristics of the still wines produced in the principal wine producing regions of the world and explain how the key natural and human factors in the vineyard, winery, law and commerce can influence the style, quality and price of these wines.
• Identify and describe the characteristics of the principal sparkling wines of the world and explain how the key natural and human factors in the vineyard, winery, law and commerce can influence the style, quality and price of these wines.
• Identify and describe the characteristics of the principal fortified wines of the world and explain how the key natural and human factors in the vineyard, winery and law can influence the style, quality and price of these wines.
• Demonstrate the ability to provide information and advice to customers and staff about wines.
• Use the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® in order to describe the key characteristics of any principal still wine of the world. Draw conclusions on quality, identification, origin and price of the principal wines of the world. Write relevant and objective tasting notes.
The Wine Studio offers courses in both Spanish and English. Regardless of the language of a particular course however, students may receive the study material and sit the final exam in the language of their choice. For example, a student may wish to enjoy the benefits of a course offered in English yet choose to receive their study material and sit the final exam in Spanish.
If you choose to sit the final exam in a language that is different from the course language, you must make this request at least one month prior to the exam date. If you wish to receive your study material in a different language, you must make this request upon signing up for the course. In the event that a student needs to resit an exam, the choice of language cannot be modified.
The WSET Level 3 Award in Wines will be assessed by a closed-book theory examination and a tasting examination. The closed-book theory examination comprises 50 multiple-choice questions, as well as four questions requiring short written answers. In order to gain an overall pass a candidate must achieve a pass mark of 55 per cent in both the theory and the tasting examination. The exams will be sent from WSET offices in London and resent there to be corrected. Exams for online courses will always be classroom-based. They will usually be held at The Wine Studio´s main site in Madrid, although candidates may sit their exam elsewhere if there is an examination scheduled in a different city.
Session 1 Course Induction and Tasting Technique
Session 2 Natural Factors and Human Influences in the Vineyard
Session 3 Human Factors in the Winery that Influence Style, Quality and Price
Session 4 Germany, Alsace, Austria and the Region of Tokaj (Hungary)
Session 5 Burgundy
Session 6 Bordeaux and South West France
Session 7 The Loire Valley, the Rhone Valley, and Southern France
Session 8 Italy
Session 9 Spain, Portugal, and Greece
Session 10 Introduction to the New World and North America
Session 11 South America and South Africa
Session 12 Australia and New Zealand
Session 13 Sparkling Wines of the World
Session 14 Fortified Wines of the World
Session 15 (Created by The Wine Studio): Preparation of theory and tasting examinations
COURSE REFERENCE: OL3W200529
PRICE 1ST ONLINE EDITION: 1.098,00 € (IVA Incluido)
SCHEDULE VIDEOCONFERENCE: Fridays 16h-17h30 -18h-19h30 (break: 17h30-18h)
ON-SITE REVIEW SESSION AND SPARKLING WINES TASTING: Friday September 3rd 16h-20h
EXAM: Friday, September 4th 16h-19h