This course focuses on the factors accounting for the style, quality and price of wines from all over the world. Using the most important grape varieties in the world as a starting point, the course covers the different wine styles made with them across different regions. It includes sparkling wines and fortified wines. We will cover France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Hungary, New Zealand, Chile, South Africa, Argentina, the United States and Australia. Altogether we’ll try more than 45 international wines, which allows us to develop and cement a unique tasting system used to describe and evaluate wine: the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®.
By the end of the course students will be able to:
• Demonstrate a basic understanding of the factors that influence wine style.
• Describe the characteristics of the principal grape varieties.
• Use bottle labelling terms to deduce style and flavours / aromas of the wines produced from the main grape varieties in the principal wine regions.
• Apply the principles of food and wine pairing to the main styles of wines in the market.
• Use the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® to describe wines, which is a fundamental part of the course.
• Provide information and advice on proper storage and service of wines.
The Wine Studio offers courses in both Spanish and English. Regardless of the language of a particular course however, students may receive the study material and sit the final exam in the language of their choice. For example, a student may wish to enjoy the benefits of a course offered in English yet choose to receive their study material and sit the final exam in Spanish.
If you choose to sit the final exam in a language that is different from the course language, you must make this request at least one month prior to the exam date. In the event that a student needs to resit an exam, the choice of language cannot be modified. If you wish to receive your study material in a different language, you must make this request upon signing up for the course.
The WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines assessment is a closed-book examination consisting of 50 multiple-choice questions. Examinations will be sent from the WSET in London and resent there for correction. Online courses will always be assessed by a classroom-based exam usually held at The Wine Studio main site in Madrid. However, if there are exams scheduled in other locations, online candidates could sit their exams wherever it is most suitable for them.
COURSE REFERENCE: OL2W200622
SCHEDULE: Mondays. 16h-17h30 - Break - 18h-19h
PRICE: 665,50 € (VAT INCLUDED)
ON-SITE CLASSROOM EXAM: Saturday, 12 September. 9:45 - 11:15