This course focuses on the factors accounting for the style, quality and price of wines from all over the world. Using the most important grape varieties in the world as a starting point, the course covers the different wine styles made with them across different regions. It includes sparkling wines, fortified wines, and a small section of spirits. We will cover France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Hungary, New Zealand, Chile, South Africa, Argentina, the United States and Australia. Altogether we’ll try more than 45 international wines, which allows us to develop and cement a unique tasting system used to describe and evaluate wine: the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®.
By the end of the course students will be able to:
• Demonstrate a basic understanding of the factors that influence wine style.
• Describe the characteristics of the principal grape varieties.
• Use bottle labelling terms to deduce style and flavors / aromas of the wines produced from the main grape varieties in the principal wine regions.
• Apply the principles of food and wine pairing to the main styles of wines in the market.
• Use the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® to describe wines, which is a fundamental part of the course.
• Provide information and advice on proper storage and service of wines and spirits.
The WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines assessment is a closed-book examination consisting of 50 multiple-choice questions. Examinations will be sent from the WSET in London and resent there for correction.
Session 1 Introduction to the course, Tasting Technique (SAT), Wine and Food, and Social Responsibility
Session 2 Factors Influencing the Style, Quality, and Price of Wine. Wine Labels
Session 3 Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
Session 4 Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Sauvignon Blanc
Session 5 Syrah, Grenache and Riesling
Session 6 Other White Grape Varieties and Other White Wines
Session 7 Other Black Grape Varieties and Other Red Wines
Session 8 Sweet Wines
Session 9 Sparkling Wines
Session 10 Fortified Wines
(Session 11) Spirits
COURSE REFERENCE: MADRID 2W190624
SCHEDULE: Mondays June 24th, July 1st, 8th and 15th, from 15h to 19h30
EXAM: Monday July 15th from 19h30 to 20h30
COURSE REFERENCE: MADRID 2W190920
SCHEDULE: Friday September 20th and 27th, from 15h to 19h30, and Saturday September 21st and 28th, from 9h30h to 14h
EXAM: Saturday September 28th, from 14h to 15h
COURSE REFERENCE: MADRID 2W191118
SCHEDULE: Monday November 18th and 25th, and December 2nd and 9th, from 15h to 19h30
EXAM: Monday December 9th, from 19h30 to 20h30